The Service for Official Certification of Seed and Plant Propagation Material of Agricultural Plants (SUP) with its headquarters at the Agricultural Institute of Slovenia is an independent unit founded at the beginning of 2013.
It operates in accordance with the required legal and sublegal regulations covering the protection and registration of varieties and seed production and in accordance with the recommendations issued by Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food, Administration of the Republic of Slovenia for Food Safety, Veterinary Sector and Plant Protection and/or international organisations (f. ex. OECD, FAO, EPPO, ICVG).
The SUP combines the following activities conducted independently from other activities of Agricultural Institute of Slovenia at one location:
- official certification of seed and planting material of field crops (cereals, potato, fodder plants, oil plants, fibre plants);
- official certification of material used for vegetative propagation of fruit plants, grapevine and hop;
- seed sampling and seed testing at the laboratory with the international ISTA accreditation;
- storing of standard samples of seed material of protected varieties and those entered in the Slovene List of Varieties;
- post-control of officially certified seed material of agricultural plants.
The work of SUP is based on the provisions of the valid "Law on Seed Material of Agricultural Plants", "Law on Agriculture", "Law on Protection of New Plant Varieties" and "Law on Sanitary Protection of Plants" and the resulting sublegal regulations.
Seed laboratory which functions within the SUP is the only Slovene laboratory accredited by the international ISTA accreditation. Beside analyses carried out in frame of the regular professional tasks, it also performs analyses of seeds, mill products and pollen analyses for external customers. The quality of the work done is guaranteed by adequate professional qualification of the staff, state-of-the-art equipment of seed laboratory, maintenance of ISTA accreditation according to the ISTA accreditation standard and that of the general quality standard (ISO 9001). According to the results of ISTA comparative tests used for the verification of quality Institute's seed laboratory is repeatedly ranged in a very high quality class. Its work is regularly supervised by Administration of the Republic of Slovenia for Food Safety, Veterinary Sector and Plant Protection.
SUP currently employs 11 regular employees.
- Official certification of seed and plant material of agricultural plants and post-control of officially certified seed material of agricultural plants is carried out by the following co-workers:
- Marjan Južnik (official certification of field and vegetable crops - head);
- Drago Žitek (official certification of field and vegetable crops and official sampling);
- Uroš Benec (official certification of field and vegetable crops)
- Andrej Obal (official certification of field crops and technical assistance);
- Boris Koruza (official certification of grapevine propagation material – head of the SUP unit);
- Barbara Ambrožič-Turk (official certification of propagation material of fruit plants and hop);
- Vesna Lokar (official certification of grapevine propagation material and administration).
- Seed laboratory: sampling and testing of seeds and storage of standard samples of seed material, protected varieties and those entered in the Slovene List of Varieties:
- Romana Rutar (analysis of seeds – head of seed laboratory);
- Darja Vouk (analysis of seeds);
- Marinka Kregar (analysis of seeds, sampling, pollen analysis of honey);
- Mateja Fortuna (analysis of seeds, technical assistance).