- EC, Interreg Alpine Space project: Integrative Alpine wildlife and habitat management for the next generation (ALPBIONET2030);
- EC, LIFE project: Conservation of Natura 2000 sites Kočevsko (LIFE Kočevsko);
- Evropska znanstvena fundacija (Research Networking Programme) Research and monitoring for and with raptors in Europe (EURAPMON);
- EC, LIFE+ project: Conservation and surveillance of the conservation status of the wolf (Canis lupus) population in Slovenia (SLOWOLF);
- EC, Interreg Alpine Space projects: Water management strategies against water scarcity in the Alps (AlpWaterScarce) in Sustainable instruments for Lakes Management in the Alpine Space (SILMAS);
- University of East Anglia: Visitor flow rates on public paths in Breckland SPA.
Projects in Slovenia:
- Zonation of Regional Park Tivoli, Rožnik in Šišenski hrib for conservation of Carabus variolosus and Austropotamobius torrentium (commissioned by: Mestna občina Ljubljana).
- Testing the effectiveness of conservation measures in Jakopič avenue in Regional Park Tivoli, Rožnik in Šišenski hrib for conservation of Osmoderma eremita (commissioned by: Mestna občina Ljubljana).
My basic training is in Biology having obtained a BSc at the University of Ljubljana in Slovenia and a PhD in Ecology at the University of East Anglia in the UK.
I am interested in all topics related to nature conservation ranging from ecology, population dynamics and their monitoring to ecosystem services. For successful conservation it is of course necessary to obtain cooperation of local stakeholders and wider public. I work on projects which combine all these issues in order to reach conservation goals.
- Ecology of agro-ecosystems and forest ecosystems
- Effects of management on biodiversity in different ecosystems
- Ecosystem connectivity and effects of fragmentation on populations
- Spatial and temporal dynamics of animal populations and their monitoring
- Ecosystem services
• KOBAL Milan, BERTONCELJ Irena, PIROTTI Francesco, DAKSKOBLER Igor, KUTNAR Lado. Using lidar data to analyse sinkhole characteristics relevant for understory vegetation under forest cover-case study of a high karst area in the Dinaric mountains. PloS one, ISSN 1932-6203, 2015, vol. 10, iss. 3.
• BERTONCELJ Irena, DOLMAN Paul M. Conservation potential for heathland carabid beetle fauna of linear trackways within a plantation forest. Insect conservation and diversity, ISSN 1752-458X, 2013, vol. 6, issue 3.
• BERTONCELJ Irena, DOLMAN Paul M. The matrix affects trackway corridor suitability for an arenicolous specialist beetle. Journal of insect conservation, ISSN 1366-638X, 2013, vol. 17, issue 3.
• VREZEC Al, DUKE Guy, KOVÁCS András, SAUROLA Pertti, WERNHAM Chris, BURFIELD Ian, MOVALLI Paola, BERTONCELJ Irena. Overview of raptor monitoring activities in Europe = Pregled monitoringa ptic roparic v Evropi. Acrocephalus, ISSN 0351-2851, 2012, letn. 33, št. 154/155.